We're introduced to Kaname as Aya's primary abuser at home. He refers to his sister as his "Punching bag" and "Sand bag", And says that her only purpose in life is to be his stress relief. He regularly ties her up and punches her.
His father has raised him with the idea of academic perfection being necessary, in order to ensure that he gets accepted into Tokyo University. He's regularly abused by his father for failing to meet his expectations, including being hit for getting a 98 out of 100 on a practice exam.
He spends a lot of time studying and is very stressed by the effort and expectations. His relationship with his father is strained by the abuse and expectations; Kaname is deferential to him to his face, but privately judgmental of his failure to get into Tokyo University and of his abusive behavior. His relationship with his mother is better, as he perceives her as loving him.
Kaname is a very manipulative person, rarely showing his true feelings to anyone that he is not able to control. On the surface, he presents himself as a model son and student. He's studious, polite, friendly, helpful, and considerate. Teachers and his parents think highly of him.
However, in private, he's a sadist. He enjoys seeing Aya in pain and causes her pain as an outlet for stress relief. He abuses her because he knows there will not be social consequences for that behavior and this shows in other interactions as well. He likes being in control and delights in his ability to hurt people and make them hurt themselves. Despite his cruelty to Aya, and hatred towards his father who Kaname greatly desires to kill, Kaname seems to love his mother as he does not want her to be killed.
He's also very misanthropic. His internal monologue regularly shows that he finds other humans to be a waste of time and potential. He thinks about their activities and concerns as foolish. He finds being expected to deal with them to be irritating and difficult. He doesn't relate to other human beings well and considers himself above them, going so far as to wonder if he's a god instead, merely trapped in human form. The series presents this as related to his father's abuse.
He's also intelligent, resourceful, and organized, most of his actions being well thought out in advance. He's will do whatever will be most advantageous for him at the time, regardless of how wrong it may be or how distasteful he may find it.
Despite all of his abuse and bad doings, he does seem to care about saving his family before the site admin is able to get them.
After stealing Nijimi Anazawa's stick, he gained the ability to control the minds of others and proceeded to use it maliciously.
- He is the first non Magical Girl to use a stick.
- So far he has killed 2 characters in the manga, which are Keisuke Naoto and Nijimi Anazawa.
- His name Kaname (要) means pivot, cornerstone, necessary and keystone.
- He and Himeji Wataru, a character from Mahou Shoujo of The End have one thing in common. Their obsession of the idea of becoming/being God. (Though it was later revealed that Himeji actually wanted to become human).
- His surname Asagiri/朝霧 means "morning fog".
- It is unknown why he live's up to Mr. Asagiri's expectations. It might have to do something about disowning him or kicking him out.
- In Chapter 90, he seemed to care when he was told that his parents were in danger. He called his mom to see if she and the panties were ok, and considering his mom was always caring and not abusive, maybe she is the only one he cares for. It is unknown if he was genuinely worried for his mother at the moment.